It’s finally time! Edibles and infused beverages hit shelves this week and we couldn’t be more excited. But as many of you know, edibles produce a longer and stronger high. This is one of the main reasons why Health Canada implemented the 10 mg per package cap. While advanced users can likely tolerate more than 10 mg, it’s an excellent tactic to implement to ensure feelings of unease are mitigated with edible consumption.
Edibles are an exciting way to consume and whether you are familiar with them or not, there are some easy ways to ensure you have a great experience. It’s important to note, that if you have been consuming products from the black market, the dose you feel comfortable with may not translate to legal edibles. This is because there is no way to properly quantify how much THC is present in unregulated black-market products. What may be labelled as 10 mg might actually be a much smaller dose. As always, start low and go slow, especially when experimenting with new products. You can always take more, but you can never take less.
Our guide to a pleasurable high:
To avoid overconsumption, here are a few tips to ensure an enjoyable and controlled high:
- Hydrate beforehand. When dry mouth hits, it hits hard. Hydrating beforehand can help mitigate this.
- Eat beforehand. While edibles are food products, it’s best to eat something beforehand to supplement your experience. Eating edibles on an empty stomach can increase the absorption of THC, as it’s easier to digest on an empty stomach. Eating slows this reaction and makes your high more controlled.
- Control your dose. The golden rule always applies “Start low and go slow”.
- Don’t mix with alcohol. Since edibles and alcohol are processed by the liver, this can increase feelings of nausea, dizziness and intoxication.
- Find a balanced product. Since THC and CBD are competing for receptors in the brain, the presence CBD can help mellow your high. CBD can also create a smoother onset, a gentler acceleration into your high versus 0 to 100.
- Don’t double dose. Edibles take time to kick in, anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes, and that’s dependent on the person. Wait two hours before taking a second dose. You can’t rush a good thing.
If you’ve consumed too much:
Now, we’ve all been there before. Tasty treats go down a little too easily and you may consume a little more THC than you intended.
If you consume too much, it’s important to keep calm and don’t panic. There is no such thing as a cannabis “overdose”. You may feel some unease, but just remember it will subside. Do activities that calm you down or better yet, try and sleep.
Some additional tips with edibles to enhance your overall experience and ensure you have an enjoyable experience are:
- Don’t “lead your dose”. Leading is taking a dose ahead of doing something else, or giving yourself some lead time until the edible kicks in. Some people may take an edible when they leave their house, to have it hit them when they arrive at their destination. This is incredibly dangerous as an edible can take effect at varying times, dependent on the person and other lifestyle factors. This is especially important with cannabis beverages, as the onset time is much quicker (10 to15 minutes) and you may not be familiar with this new product. Only take your dose when you are at your primary destination.
- Remember your dose. If you happen to take too much, this is a good reference point for the next time you consume. Take the same amount or increase by a small increment if you had a good experience or take a smaller dose if the high was a bit too intense. Know your personal limits and tailor your high to the most desirable experience. It might be good to note the product format and brand as well, as the effects may vary through product formats and producer. A cannabis journal is a great way to keep track of your experiences.
Have questions about edibles? We’re here to elevate your cannabis experience. Reach out to us at or sign up for our FOUR20 Insiders Newsletter to keep up to date with all things edibles. Sign up can be found on the bottom of our homepage or you can sign up at any FOUR20 location!